Saturday, March 12, 2011

3/11/2011 Late e-mail because of Carnival, Interesting news

Dear Dad and Mom,
So my week has been a pretty exciting one, not only did we have carnival but we had something else happen that was quite exciting. So the last week was pretty good work wise. We didn't have a baptism but we have a lot of people ready to be baptized. We had something happen on Thursday night, we were robbed. Last Thursday night we had some guy climb over our fence and our roof. He managed to get into our house that was all closed up. First they tried to steal our washing maching that was outside in our washing area. They yanked the washing machine out of the wall and then they couldn't get it out of our backyard so they left it. We had water spewing all over the place. Then they managed to get into the house by opening our back door, which was locked, and stole from me, my mission bag with all my scriptures and some other things like pamphlets. From my companion he stole his camera and from another Elder here they stole his I-pod touch, his camera and his wallet with 10 reais ($5.49) in it. We don't know how they managed to get into our house or even how none of us woke up but they managed. When we woke up in the morning we called President and told him. We went and bought new locks for our house and took some other precautions. President sent a man over to look and make a list of things to make the house safer. On Friday night we had locked everything up really good. We put locks on all of the doors and closed everything up really good. When it was about 3:30 in the morning I woke up as if someone had yelled to me to wake up. As I looked over at our bedroom window I could see two shadows and them using a stick to open up our window. Well, I got up really fast and I started to yell at them to get out of here. When I screamed one ran away in fear, but the other one stayed and started threatening me, saying some things. I just kept on telling him no and argued with him for about 10 minutes of him wanting to come in and steal more stuff. By this time everyone was awake and in there with me and we called the police. The guy saw my companions mp4 player with his speaker system and told us to give it to him. My comp said if we gave it to him that he would leave and he said yes, so he gave it to him and the guy left. It took the police about 15 minutes to get there, which was ridiculous, but what can you do. We also called President and told him and he told us to pack up our bags because we would be leaving the house the next day. So we spent all of Saturday packing up our suitcases and the other appliances from the house and took them to some other missionary homes. We are sleeping in the staff's apartment for right now until they get gratings put on the windows and an electric fence put up around our house. Then we will move back in. But yeah, so carnival also started on Saturday and we had to be home at 5:00 o'clock on Saturday until Tuesday and on Monday, P-day there was no LAN houses open so that is why I didn't send an email. But Dad and Mom, I don't want you to worry about me (As if his mother isn't going to worry, even more). I am fine, nothing happened to me. The Lord fulfilled his promise to protect me and will continue to protect me. I am loving the mission and it's hard to believe that it's coming closer and closer to the end. But I love you all and pray for you all, keep me in your prayers and send my love to the family. Love your son, Elder Crittenden

No comments:

Post a Comment